Today, a student and I walked around the quad asking people, “What are you thankful for?” We had them write it down, then we chatted them up. Above is a scan of the pages of my notebook we used today. (Click it to view it larger.)
Here’s the list typed out:
- success in classes – Mike
- delight in little things – Jonathan
- being alive – Neil
- Health & Family – Megan
- Neil’s Credibility – Simon
- MY AWESOME BIG AND AMAZING FRIENDS =] – JAYMARIE
- My Family moving back to this country – Jessy
- My family moving to the states – David
- beautiful weather today – Diana
- panera chi tea latte – Grace
- Friendship, family and food! – Sara
- Love, hope, generousity [sic], pain relief, the source – Nick
- The ability to be with the people I love, my parents and my family – Mark
- Family, God, friends! – Marcus Ramóne
- family, friends, the love of God, the campus ministry I’m a part of, for the opportunity to go to a prestigious school, like the U of I – Grace O. A.
What a wonderful list of things to be thankful for! (or, a list of things for which to be grateful, for those of you with prickly grammar sensitivities out there!)
We’d ask two questions, and encourage one action.
Question 1: What are you thankful for?
Question 2: Who are you going to thank?
Action 1: Thank them! Right now!
It’s hard to give be thankful if we don’t give thanks to anyone! We had people thanking their friends around them, a few people shouting out a quick “Thank you, God,” and we got one guy to call his mom. Their conversation went something like this:
Marcus: Mom, I’m thankful for you. These two guys are walking around campus, asking people what they’re thankful for and getting them to thank people. I want to thank you for being my mom and doing so much for me. I love you.
[a pause to let Mom respond]
Marcus: No, I’m not gonna be on TV! … No, I’m not in trouble. … I don’t need any money! I just wanted to say thanks! OK, thank you, Mom. I love you.
What a phone call! I bet once his mom got over the shock, she was really touched.
It’s important to be grateful and to give thanks. We must remember to pray and give thanks to God, for he has given us so many beautiful things, so many wonderful blessings. We must remember to thank one another, for God usually delivers those blessings through those around us. We are surrounded by so much love!
Now it’s your turn!
What are you thankful for?
Who can you thank for that?
Well, what are you waiting for? Thank them! Do it now!